What is the Office Skills Training Center?
The center provides education, training, and skills necessary to allow individuals with developmental disabilities the opportunities for successful employment in office settings.
How does the program work?
Students attend the one-year program and are trained in the areas listed below in curriculum highlights. After mastering curriculum requirements, students are placed in office internships throughout the Metro DC area. Internship and job placements have been made at Service Source, Department of Rehabilitation Services, Doctors’ Community Hospital, Abilities Network, DDA, Riderwood Retirement Community, and the Kennedy Center.
Here are a few of the curriculum highlights:
- Use of Office Equipment & Supplies
- Microsoft Office Programs
- Word Processing & Data Entry
- Mavis Beacon Typing Program
- Employability & Social Skills
- Safety Skills & Travel Training
- Math & Reading Skills
- Resume Building & Interviewing
- Ongoing Progress Reporting
- Internships in Office Settings
- Technologically Advanced Computer Lab
- Motivational Guest Speakers & Field Trips
- Person-Centered Job Placements
How do I receive services?
Any person with a developmental disability who wants to learn the skills necessary to achieve and maintain employment in an office setting and who has fundamental reading, math, and computer skills and the ability to work independently is encouraged to apply! All applicants must be approved to receive services from the Developmental Disabilities Administration (DDA) or have other means to pay for services.
Contact the Office Skills Training Center at 301-498-2910 and request an application. Upon receipt and review of the application, applicant will complete a functional reading, math, and computer skills assessment and an interview. Applicants will be notified of acceptance by mail.
What are the benefits for businesses?
- No expenses incurred for recruitment, initial training, and ongoing support as needed.
- Federal Work Opportunity Tax Credits available.
- Well trained, competent employees with good work habits.
Let us know how we can help!
If you have questions about services or programs of The Arc Prince George’s County, or if you need information, please contact us at any time. Our staff are ready to assist you.